Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mestizo? Really?

Go ahead and get your dictionary out, I had to.

About twice a week my niece calls wanting help with her homework. I'm still at a loss as to why she calls ME. I quit paying attention in school around the 6th grade. By time I managed to get to 7th I was more focused on boys or skipping WITH the boys. I was not the model student, by any means. I repeated 7th and how I made it to 9th I don't know, but had to repeat that too. I then gave up. So as you can see I really only made it to the 6th grade, mentally.

My niece is now in the 6th grade and I was already having difficulty helping her with the 5th grade homework.

Last night we flew through the English, find the definition and use that word in a sentence. No problem, as soon as she got the meaning, she was coming up with sentences on her own. I like helping like that, just a supportive voice on the phone. No brain pains involved.

She then threw a Science question at me and of course my answer was I DON'T KNOW. I was particularly bad in Science. She got frustrated with me, but yet moved on to Social Studies. Determined to get all she could out of me.

Her assignment was to find the definition of words pertaining to Mexico. Then rewrite the definition in her own words. Why am I on the phone with her? She can do this without me!

First word...Mestizo..a person with mixed blood, such as a person born from two different races.

Really? Please! Why would anyone need to know that! Oh okay, maybe a super scientist.

After my sister and I get through kidding around about the necessity of this word, My niece gets all huffy with us. She shouts in the phone (to both of us) "You went to school, you should know this stuff!" My sister and I are rolling with laughter mixed with tears. My niece grabs the phone and informs me "Aunt Heather, you need to go back to school! Oh, and "What happened to college?" By this point I am in hysterics! She is so funny when she gets mad at us. LOL

Who knew I was going to have to know what Mestizo meant? LOL

11 comments:

Janet said... [Reply to comment]

LOL! What's really funny is that I can just see her throwing her little fit about this! I will admit I had to look up Mestizo before I read your blog because I had never heard it before, not even while studying for the SAT/ACT tests!

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

I knew what mestizo was thanks to several years of Spanish! Your niece sounds like a character. And how nice are you to help her do HW over the phone!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

LOL ROFL.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Janet..I can only hear her which is funny enough, I would have been on the floor if I had seen it.

Maureen..That is where I went wrong..Spanish class. I should have paid better attention.

Elise, Monica and Mom...ya'll are NUTS!

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

This blog is so funny LOL. It was more funnier in person.

A Valdese Blogger said... [Reply to comment]

I had to google it to get the definition - I never took Spanish.

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

I swear. I remember thinking that I'd go thru school once. ONCE.

Instead I'm on my FOURTH time in 7th grade...and it's just gotten harder and harder with each child.

I can't help Connor at all with math or science! Forgetaboutit!

Spot said... [Reply to comment]

I homeschooled my two youngest biological children and many many times I learned just as much as they did! I did well in school myself and have always loved learning new things. But my children are really smart and sometimes they'd want more info then I had so we'd look it up online and at the library.

Your neice is very funny in her indignation! By helping her with her hw like that you are sure to foster that part of her that values education so much. And she's sending a great message...you're never too old to learn Aunt Heather!!

I just want to say that
a.) I would never have guessed from your blogs that you were a wild child.
b.) I would so never have guessed that you stopped your formal education that early. You are wonderfully articulate and intelligent! And I always look forward to your comments. =]

♥Spot

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

A Valdese Blogger...Thanks for stopping by, soory I made you work on your first visit.

Kathryn...It seems to me that the kids nowadays are learning new stuff or the same stuff but under a new format.

Spot...You had me laughing so hard, I had to walk away for a moment. I learn something new every night she calls! But sometimes I wonder "What am I going to do with this all this new found smarts?" I am making really good grades through her. WE are making A's and B's, way better than what I did on my own!

Wild child..I like that! I could have been call so many other things...I'll take Wild child!

Thank you very much for the compliment!

Sprite's Keeper said... [Reply to comment]

My Spanish speaking husband had no idea either. Tell your niece that one! Although John is Dominican so maybe it's particular to Mexico? On second thought, don't tell her. Me? Total Gringa. I am not to be trusted with translations.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Sprite's Keeper..Wow, that is surprising. Okay, I wont tell her! But..she might read it.

Total gringa here too, your not alone!