Thursday, October 22, 2009

Let me put on my face

Last night I saw a commercial with a girl trying to explain to someone that she doesn't wear makeup, next you see her in her wedding dress in full makeup.

When I was in my teens and twenties I was the one who couldn't go out in public with out my face on. Then I eventually took out the foundation and concealer. Over time it has dwindled down to just lipstick, eyeliner and mascara, but those are only brought out if I am going visiting.

I look back on those times when I would do the full face regiment and shake my head, I wonder why it was so important.

Was it that I was trying to hide behind it?

Was I trying to impress someone? If so, how did I come to think that that would impress anyone? Showing a fake ME.

Was I doing it to catch a man? That can't be it, cause most of the men I have known don't even like it. My hubby wont even kiss me with lipstick on.

I just can't seem to find the importance of it. All it ever did was waste my time and give me pimples cause I would go out partying and come home and crash with it still on. I can't even count the endless hours of my life putting on makeup and taking off makeup and curing the pimples. Not to mention all the money spent.

So...Why do we do it? I'm thinking most of us do it, cause we grew up watching all the women in our lives do it. Maybe we were influenced by television or magazines.

I know a lot of women will say "cause it makes me feel beautiful or better about myself".

I wonder if that would still be the case if makeup hadn't been so ingrained into society.

Imagine women never having started this process and then seeing someone with makeup, would we consider that person to be crazy or would we flock to it?

8 comments:

Jen said... [Reply to comment]

I wore a lot of make-up as a teen. I loved putting it on and thought it made me look older. What I would give to look that young again. I too am down to some eye liner and mascara, I don't even bother with lipstick, just Carmex. When I do go out for a night on the town I put it on because I love the process of it. My face is like a canvass and I can turn myself into whatever I want. I'm not hiding just trying different personas.

Spot said... [Reply to comment]

I loved make-up! Still do sometimes. Although I also wear very little anymore. Less then any of the women in my family. And I will leave the house without it, depending on what I'm doing. In fact one of my favorite photos of myself...I'm wearing only eyeliner & mascara. Typically I wear foundation because it evens out my skin tone. I was a huge fan of the sun so I have some sun spots. Then eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss are the rest of my staples.

My mother, my sister, and my daughter do not leave the house without a full face on. Well, my daughter does if hiking or camping or swimming. But those are the only exceptions. And she's beautiful without it! They all say I wear too little makeup but I just laugh at them because people always guess my age about 10 years younger then I am so I must be doing something right!!

♥Spot

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

Great post! I think we're taught that makeup "enhances" our beauty...and I know I definitely look MUCH better WITH than without. That's not to say that I wear it, unless I have to...'cause I can't go to sleep with it on.
Carmindy has a book (can't think of the name) with these beautiful women before...and stunning after....very subtle makeup, but it can improve!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Jen...Yes, what we wouldn't give! It's a shame we don't realize just how beautiful we were and didn't need to hide it.

Spot...I never did understand the whole "skin tone" thing. The women in your family seem to be typicial..which leds me to believe we are taught by generations of women.
Kudos on the compliments!

Kathryn...Great post! Oh, you sweet lady! Thank you!
I do agree that some women look stunning in full make up. Wouldn't it have been nice to have just been born looking like that, so we wouldn't have to go through the process. OR maybe we were and have been slowly brain washed into thinking it is still not good enough.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I don't wear make-up any more on a daily basis, but you must admit when well done it is a plus. then again at my age my attitude is: this is ME, don't like it, don't look and I don't need YOUR approval.

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

All I wear is eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick. Do not wear all that other stuff.

Janet said... [Reply to comment]

Makeup? What's that? Oh, you mean that stuff I have in a box just collecting dust?!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Grace...My feelings exactly!

Monica...Sis, you don't need all that other stuff anyway.

Janet...yes all that stuff we have had for years cause we hardly ever dig it out. I still have a lipstick that I had before hubby.