Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Waiting for Daddy

Every evening, we (dogs and I) are sitting and waiting for daddy to get home. Chiquita can tell by the sound of daddy’s truck and is the first to let everyone know that he is home. They (Taco, Stitch and Chiquita) all go running for the door. I have to make them wait till daddy closes the gate before I let them go running out the door. This drives them crazy! First I get barked at, then I get howled at, then the singing is in full force, by time I get the door opened. Chiquita being the smallest has proven she is the fastest when motivated. Daddy is her motivation; she is such a daddy’s girl.

Today, because of daddy’s truck being broke down, has been a confusing one for the little girl. His truck has been out there all day, but daddy is now where to be found.

It is getting dark out, so that means he should be home any minute. Problem is that she has been listening for the wrong truck! LOL! Apparently when you are confused, all noises could possibly be him. Her ears would go up and listen intently and then go back down with sadness. She is so cute, she is cracking me up!

I call hubby and know he isn’t going to be home for hours, I try to tell her but she refuses to believe it. She runs off my lap and does circles in front of the door; I shake my head and laugh while I let her out. Instead of running out she trots all the way to the gate and looks both ways. Sadly she comes back.

The phone rings an hour later. They somehow know it is him. Maybe it is the “Love you” at the end of the call that gives it away. Now there is singing to shhhh (like they really listen to me) and whining to soothe. Still another 45 minutes to go.

The big moment arrives and I am the only one who notices. I have to announce “I see daddy!” The mad dash is on! I’m in the middle of cooking; I don’t rush to the door. Taco comes in the kitchen to whine me to death, his only way to demand my attention. I ask him, in a merry voice “What, what is it?” with hand gestures too. He runs in circles, runs to the door and then back to me. If he was bigger than a foot tall, I’m sure he would have grabbed my hand and pulled me to the door. LOL!

I let them out, but not before I see hubby jump up in the back of his truck and signal. Chiquita runs at full speed, circles my truck, and then circles his truck. Huh, she found him! Such a smart and deliriously happy girl!

10 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

It's funny how excited dogs get when Daddy gets home! My hubby always says he wishes he'd get the same greeting from me as the dog!

mindy@thesuburbanlife said... [Reply to comment]

Ah, I love it! I have a little shitzu-poodle who I swear is way more human than he is canine. They are attuned to so much more than we are and it's amazing how much they actually know! His high point of the day is when it's bedtime. That dog sits and waits, staring at me until I get up to go to bed. Then, like a fire was lit under him, he shoots for the bedroom door. I'll admit though, I also love bedtime. So he comes by it naturally! =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Spot said... [Reply to comment]

Too cute. My cats aren't really big on welcoming us home. But I have one who does love the bedtime snuggling. Every time she hears my bed squeek she comes running. Even if I'm just making it. Lol.

Have a Happy New Year!
♥Spot

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

I have seen those three when their daddy comes in from outside thay are so funny. LOL

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

That is so cute! I love the dancing that goes on with dogs when they finally see someone they love arrive home. Just think, with all that they go through to welcome him, you don't have to do a thing Lol!

Angelia said... [Reply to comment]

This is so cute. Dogs are so funny (and smart). Smiling with ya on this one. Precious babes in furcoats.

Smart Mouth Broad said... [Reply to comment]

There is nothing better than the excitement of a dog when you return home. The great thing is that you can leave for 5 minutes and still get the same reception upon return.

Lifeofkaylen said... [Reply to comment]

Hilarious!!! It's so great how happy dogs are to see you - ALWAYS. One of my cats is like that, in his cat way, but the other is like, meh-so you're home? so what?

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, that is too cute! She's a little Daddy's girl, alright! It must make hubby happy to be so...appreciated by someone!

You mean, YOU don't run circles around him when he gets home??

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I can just picture them doing this! So cute.