Saturday, December 12, 2009

Stop the Honking!!

The trailer behind us has been empty for a few months. Two days after Thanksgiving, a family of 5 or 6 moved in.

Everyday this family and I guess their Friends or family, have been driving me crazy.

People pull into their driveway and sit in their cars and honk. I have never liked this practice and it is making me screaming mad. Not to mention, my dogs will bark every time! Even worse, is that I am expecting a package from the mail lady and she will honk cause I have a gate. So, every time I hear a honk I have to check to see if it is for me.

I find this behavior rude to the neighborhood and to the person the honk is for. If I was to get honked at from my driveway...from some one other than the mail lady... you can bet your bottom dollar, that person would get yelled at for being so friggin lazy and RUDE!

Sorry Mom! It reminds me of when my mother would start honking as she was getting in front of my house, all the kids would quickly pile out (cause it looked like she didn't even stop) and my mom would drive away. Grrr, I would get sooo mad! It felt like a rudeness directed at me. No asking if I could watch them or even if I had time to watch them. Just drop them off and run, with just a friggin honk as a warning! That is probably why I don't like it so much.

It also reminds me of a scene in my mind, of a young girl going out on a date and the boy sits in his car and honks. The father refuses to let the girl go, till the boy comes to get the girl proper like. I know that if I had ever dated someone with a car, my dad would have never allowed a honking boyfriend!

Maybe if I put this up in my yard

They would get the idea!

What ever happened to the days when people actually cared about their neighbors?

When I was a kid, I do recall my parents telling us to keep it down cause we might be disturbing the neighbors and they might get mad.

These new people don't seem to care about disturbing us at all.

From sitting here at the computer in my kitchen/office, I can hear...Music blarring, doors slamming, pounding, yelling and even running in the house...till nearly midnight!

My hubby is usually asleep by at least 9pm. One of these days he's going to get woken up by them and grumpy bear is going to get angry!

Along with the honking at LEAST twice a day, I think I am going to be the one to crazy and lose it, way before he does!

The only thing they can hear from my house, is my dogs barking at all the noise they are making!

11 comments:

John said... [Reply to comment]

Start launching your dog's poop into their yard. It might not stop the honking, but in the back of your mind, you will feel that in a small way justice is being served. Just an idea. 8)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

So annoying. My parents would not let us leave the house with anyone who honked from the driveway...if they didn't have the decency to come to the door then they could hit the road!

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, I am TOTALLY with you! I can't stand the whole honking thing...it's crude...and lazy. I have NEVER honked for anyone...I get out of the car and walk to the door.

You know, if they're THAT loud and obnoxious, you could tape a note to their door while they're away and politely say, "Your neighbors would appreciate your not beeping your horn, unless it's an emergency."

Ya never know...might do the trick. couldn't hurt!

Angelia said... [Reply to comment]

Ohhhh! How annoying! That is about as irritating as the car horns that go off when you lock your car with a remote. That drives my dogs nuts!!

Thank you sooo much for all your kind comments this week. It really means alot.

A Valdese Blogger said... [Reply to comment]

We don't have a mailbox because our neighbors kept flattening with their cars - it would take too long to explain. But I know about annoying neighbors. I have no idea what to do about it, I have a feeling complaining would do no good. The flinging dog poop in the yard suggestion sounds as good as any.

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

I think the anonymous note idea is worth a try. I hate inconsiderate people; it's so draining.

Stephanie Faris said... [Reply to comment]

Fight fire with fire. Start having people honk when they drive up. We have a couple down the street from us who uses the horn as a garage door opener. As he or she draws closer, they honk the horn and the spouse that's home obediently goes out and opens the garage for them. My boyfriend talks about honking every time we drive past his house, no matter what the hour, but we don't do it.

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

That would drive me crazy! I don't understand this type of rudeness in any neighborhood. I think I would invest in some earplugs or at least wear my ipod for a few hours a day for the break. Unfortunately there isn't a heck of a lot you can do about it and it would bug the hell out of me that neighbors would put me in that position. Good luck with it.

Tinkerschnitzel said... [Reply to comment]

Oooh, I hate those people! The ONLY time I honk is when I have been grocery shopping, and it's to let the people in the house know "come get the groceries." Of course, I usually walk in with arms loaded down while they're all playing video games, and they just look at me like "what?" BTW, most places have a noise ordinance after 10pm. Just a thought. :D

mindy@thesuburbanlife said... [Reply to comment]

Okay, I'm annoyed just reading about the honking...can't imagine having to experience it. The vindictive and spiteful side of me says go with the dog-poop idea...the more practical side of me says throw a note on their door. Damn, I hate the practical side...so boring.
Good luck!!!
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you to all my commentors.

I don't believe that I will be doing the doggie poop, cause that would require me to having to pick it up. Grosss!!

I'm leaning towards the note idea or maybe having a talk with the property landlord.

Again, thanks!