Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Thank You, Hedy Lamarr!

On yesterday's post Eleanor Parker, I had an interesting comment.

Menopausal New Mom wrote that actress Hedy Lamarr was one of her favorites in the old movies.

I had to look her up, I had never heard that name before. After reading what was written about her, I was amazed!

After escaping from a super controlling husband (who threw parties that Hitler and Mussolini attended) and fleeing to London for a divorce, she then came to America in 37' and debuted in her first American film in 38'.

This woman was not only an actress, but a scientist as well. In 41' Hedy and a composer invented "frequency-hopping" a.k.a. secret communication system and got it patented in 42'. It was intended to to help with the war, making torpedoes harder to detect. Because it was so ahead of it's time, it was not implemented till 62'.

The most amazing part of this woman's history is that, the technology that she and the composer created was used to create "Spread-Sectrum Communication Technology".

The cordless phones and the Wi-Fi that most of us have in our homes, is a direct (or indirect) result of Hedy's hard work!

Amazing woman!! To leave such a mark on the world!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Interesting post!

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

Hey Heather, I told you she was gorgeous!! I bet you were blown away by how beautiful she was. She actually lived to be quite old and was never given the attention and adoration she deserved for being a movie star or for anything else she accomplished.

Quite a lady for her time and not that well known. I love the movies from the 1940's Humphrey Bogart is my favorite with Betty Becall a close second or Betty Davis, well I could write all night there are so many greats of that era.

Thanks for this wonderful post and tribute!

Angelia (Texas) said... [Reply to comment]

That blows me away! What incredible odds she overcame to go on and do incredible works in the world.
Loved this! Thanks for sharing.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Suzicate...Thanks, I thought she deserved some attention.

Menopausal...I was so blown away by her story, I forgot to mention that, yes she was gorgeous.

I love that you would call Lauren Becall by Betty, she said only her closest friends and Humphrey called her that.

Angelia...Yes, she was a strong women to over come all she did and leaving her mark.