Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Battle of the Lights

Hubby is the worst when it comes to the household lights.

He goes from room to room turning off the lights, whether I am going back and forth in those rooms.

He's a true believe in "Your not in that room, so the light shouldn't be on!"

This drives me crazy!!

I gripe at him, but it falls on deaf ears (literally).

I go back through switching them back on and grumbling under my breathe.



I get up this morning and I notice right off that the Christmas tree has been turned off.

To me the best part of having the tree up, is the lights!

I switch them back on and stomp my foot and yell to an empty house...

"Why does he insist on doing that?" Grumble, grumble...



This evening...

We are enjoying a night of back to back Humphrey Bogart movies.

Every thing is going great, a few chuckles here and there.

UNTIL...

Hubby is getting ready to go to bed.

He walks into the office and turns out that light, then proceeds to turn out the living room light.

I get my beg in and he puts it on low. Fair enough, I can live with that.

BUT THEN...

He walks over to turn off the Christmas tree!!!!!

I lost it!

Why do you keep doing that?

No reply

Can you give me an honest reason why?

Still no reply

I'm getting madder! Voice getting higher!

Every year we argue about this! Give me a reason why!

He stands there with hand hovering over the switch.

With a chuckle in his voice, he speaks...calmly and evenly

"I like having something, to argue with you about and to watch you get all riled up."


That was equal to ripping a hole in my hot air balloon!

I deflated and was amusingly defeated.

BUT, he's asleep and the tree is still lit!

(shhh)I WIN!!!

12 comments:

John said... [Reply to comment]

The silent victory. The internal laugh that no one can hear even though to you it sounds like a rock concert with front row seats. I LOVE IT! Win indeed!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

And you win again...stop by my place to pick up your prize!

MJenks said... [Reply to comment]

I can understand having it off at night and when you're not home, but part of the experience of having a tree is to have it lit. My wife is like that, too. Always unplugging the tree, always complaining that the front lights are still on.

Tinkerschnitzel said... [Reply to comment]

Are you sure we're not married to the same man? Hubby's got my 5 year old turning off lights - when I'm still in the room - or turning off the tv because he's tired of watching it, and guess what? I'm still sitting on the couch watching tv!

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

I am big on turning out lights if you're not in the room. My father instilled this in me. But the Christmas tree is a HUGE exception. It's a work of art that Needs to be seen!

Angelia (Texas) said... [Reply to comment]

Omygosh! Hilarious! That is how my step dad was too. He liked to get my mom all riled up, it made him smile. Too cute!

But yes, leave the Christmas tree on, unless you are asleep, or not home right? It could start a FIRE! (this was instilled in me growing up. HA)

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

Heather, I'm laughing out loud, your husband and my husband must be related. My husband will actually turn off the kitchen light if I leave long enough to go set the dining room table while cooking dinner! BTW, Humphrey Bogart is my all time favorite 1940's actor!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

John...LOL! Exactly!

Suzicate...Oh Boy, I am so excited! Thank you!

Mjenks...enought to drive a person crazy!

Tinkerschnitel...at least your will turn off the tv! Just rude to do it while your still watching though! The kid? Double dose of evil for you sweetie!!

Maureen..Hubby says YES(in your face wifey) and NO (to the tree lights)!

Angelia...What is it about seeing the one you love all riled up? Maybe it is a turn on, but I wouldn't know about that!

Menopausal...Yup they must be related! Mine will do that too!
Humphrey is definately in my top 20!

Stephanie Faris said... [Reply to comment]

Because you're just so CUTE when you get all riled up. That's what they say. Ugh!

I put our tree on a timer and have it cut off automatically around 10 pm or so. But the Boyfriend turns it off when he comes to bed anyway. As long as I'm up and it's dark outside, I want those lights on!

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

HA! You GO, girl!

I can just picture his face when he wakes up in the morning and sees the tree's lit...again!

HA!

mindy@thesuburbanlife said... [Reply to comment]

Don't those men know how to get in there and drive us to the brink of madness? My husband pretends he doesn't know what I'm talking about when I ask him to turn on or off the lights. "What lights?" he'll ask. "Um, the ones that LIGHT up the house!" Gawd. =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Stephanie...My hubby better never use that line!

I totally agree the lights should be on. I'm going to have to look into a timer, maybe that will make him stop.

Kathryn...Thanks! actually he said nothing.

Mindy...They pretend to be stupid, at least I hope they are pretending!