Thursday, December 17, 2009

Capitol Wedding

About three weeks ago, I received a call from my brother to inform me that he and my bf are finally going to get married!

He tells me this fabulous news, but I am under strict orders to not tell anyone or to blog about it. Totally mean!!

Finally, they tell my parents and the word spreads quickly from there. Now I can share my excitement, at least with the family.

Not being able to blog about it has been extremely difficult and has consumed my brain. It is really hard to put up a post, when it has nothing to do with what I want to say!

After much whining, begging and pleading, I get permission to blog! I would share pics, but I still don't have permission. YET! Kinda NOT funny that these twenty-somethings can tell me what I can and cannot do. Grrrr...but because I love them, I bite my tongue and nails and behaved. I even tried to do write a post, something without any specific details. I never could get it right, so you never saw it.

Anyway, last Sunday was the big day!

The plan was to have a simple, come as you are, casual wedding in front of the state capitol. As soon as I heard the state capitol, I wasn't too sure which I was more exited about: the wedding or being in the presence of such grand history.
It was both! So you can get an idea of just how excited I was.

Well, the plan of clothes quickly changed when my brother called and asked if I could PLEASE dress up a little. Since he will be wearing a suit and my bf is getting new clothes just for the occasion. Grrr...I don't own many dressy clothes, like maybe three dresses and one of those was my own casual wedding dress! I dug out the dress I bought at the thrift store two years ago and had never worn. Funny how, now all my dresses have somebodies wedding attached to them.

Hubby and I head out for the two hour drive, both in clothes we are not comfortable in. Thankfully hubbies humor kept me laughing or we would have been a lot more miserable than we already were. I hate to wear pantyhose..so my big turkey thighs were stuck together the whole time, what I wouldn't have given for some britches!! Hubbies big santa belly was being dug into by his belt buckle, he would have rather had his rainbow suspenders! We are horrible creatures all dressed up, but we looked nice! Almost as good as we looked at our own wedding, three years ago! I felt weird cause my Mom liked the dress, even asked if I didn't like it maybe I could give it to her. I officially hate the dress NOW! Naw, just kidding! Love you mommy!

We were using this family gathering, as a chance to exchange Christmas presents as well. Hubby gave me the choice of going to the wedding or going to the Christmas get together, since they were only 2 weeks apart. I'll take the wedding! After giving gifts, we head to the capitol.

I'm telling hubby how to get there from the directions I printed out. I see it! I see it! I swear hubby nearly ran off the road from my excitement! I felt like a school kid on a field trip! Way more giddy than the sheets at the thrift store!

Everybody piles out of their cars, hubby and I pass all the slow pokes..a.k.a older peeps and infants. We was in a hurry to get to the plaques and statues, before the wedding. Mom is yelling that we are going the wrong way, dah mom we know that! You can't take two history buffs to the state capitol and expect us NOT to educate ourselves! I don't know how they could just bypass all that historical information without a second thought. We could have stayed there for days, taking it all in.

The wedding is performed on a star on the ground, on the south side of the architecturally gorgeous capitol.
Brother was all smiles and bf (I need to learn to call her sister now) looked like she was on the verge of tears, probably not, maybe that was me! Us sister's all hug her and yell SHE'S A ___! (insert maiden name).

Now "One stop hubby" is ready to go! No, we have to go to the reception! He reluctantly went, only cause he was super hungry and there was CAKE!

I'll do the reception on another post.

7 comments:

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, YAY! Congrats to your bro and bf! Sounds like you had a lovely, exciting time!

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

What a great day. It was lovely. I was going slow becuase I had two babies holding my hands.You can't go very fast. I am so glad that she is our sis now.

Love ya!

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like fun.
I am so impressed at your secret-keeping ability. That is a rare skill!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Glad you had fun! A history buff, huh? The history channel is on almost all the time at our house...funny! My dad is inot history as well as my hubby and two sons. I like it , but not like they do!

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

Oh that sounds like such a great celebration! Congratulations to your brother and his significant other, what a great occasion and how wonderful you were able to get together with family. Yes, looking forward to the photos!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Kathryn...very exciting time, thanks!

Sister...I know why you was going slow, that wasn't the point. It was for hubby and I to get to all the neat history.

Maureen...It was soooo hard to keep it a secret!!

Suzicate...Our tv is either on history or syfy.

Menopausal...sorry, no pics. They won't budge on that.

Angelia Sims said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! Congratulations. It sounds beautiful. What a great idea to do it there. :-)