Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sneeking a Peek

I was eleven and the Christmas tree was set up and some of the presents where already under the tree. My grandmother had just been to our house (the day before) to drop off the presents from her. My parents weren't home and the kids (siblings) were napping.

I kneel on the floor and look through the presents to find the one with my name on it. I find it and am curious as to why it is so small. It feels light as air, like nothing is in it but paper. Curiosity peeked as bad as "What prize is in the Cracker Jacks?!" I run to the door, look out the peep hole, nobody is coming. I go to the kitchen with the big window and scan the whole area, still nobody is coming. I still have this light as air present in my hands. I knew what I was thinking was wrong and if I got caught I was going to get a whipping. I just couldn't resist the curiosity, it was too strong.

I had seen daddy do this many times, I knew I could do it to. I ever so gently pulled on the tape, trying real hard not to tear the paper. My heart is pounding in my ears, the excitement was giving me a adrenaline rush, but the fear was ALMOST enough to make me stop. I didn't of course. I felt like I was moving in slow motion and breathing was too much noise. I get it peeled off and every so quietly unfold the edge.

It is something green and crocheted. My heart sank, I was so disappointed it wasn't something fun or fashionable, but still I just had to know what my grandmother had thought I would want. Maybe it is a dress for my doll, that would be neat. (Yes, I still played with dolls) My mind went all over the place, trying to think what it could be. I wasn't going to pull it out of the wrapping, for fear that I would never get it back in. Before I could stick to my plan, I was pulling it out!


SLIPPERS! The ugliest things I had even seen! Even the color of the green was sickening. They were two rectangular strips sewn together, they pointed at the toes!


Today, I could kick my eleven year old butt. Not knowing then that that was going to be the last present I ever got from my Grandmother. Not because she was gone. No, we were gone, we moved from Maine to Texas eight months later. I only saw her two times after that, at 18 and again at 25. She passed two years ago at the age of 92.

The point of my story is...Love your family, TODAY! Appreciate their efforts, even if you don't really like it. You never know what the future holds.


Ps...In the writing of this memory, the realization of this being her last present swept over me and of course changed my ending. No, I didn't get caught

14 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Argh, what an ace post. I read it initially with the fear that you would get caught but your final sentiments were amazing. let's hope we all can take your advice on board.

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

That is a great story but go easy on your 11-year-old self. No one at that age could have foreseen what the future would hold and now you have the nice memory instead of those green slippers. Bet your grandmother would see the humor in it if she knew.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Eternally Distracted...Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comment.

Menopausal...I do wish I had those slippers, green is my favorite color now! Irony can be brutal sometimes!

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

I agree, hindsight is a tough thing. You told this beautifully.

Smart Mouth Broad said... [Reply to comment]

Amen. You never know.

kathryn said... [Reply to comment]

Aw, honey...you can't be so hard on your little-girl self? How was she supposed to appreciate such a gift? That kind of thing is totally lost on the young...it's only in hindsight that we realize what we had...

Stephanie Faris said... [Reply to comment]

Awww...yeah, when we're kids we just don't "get it." We don't understand the value of family. Unfortunately I think we learn these lessons the hard way, but we then later appreciate every gift from our loved ones, no matter what it is.

mindy@thesuburbanlife said... [Reply to comment]

Great lesson, Heather! I think we all have similar stories. I remember peeking and finding my "big" gift. That disappointment stuck with me for years. Ah...hindsight is 20/20. I'd take that over my current vision any day! =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Maureen...Thanks!

Smart Mouth Broad...Thanks for stopping by!

Kathryn...So true!

Stephanie...It's a shame it takes so long to appreciate things.

Mindy...Thanks, 20/20 is best!

tattytiara said... [Reply to comment]

Well, kids are allowed the luxury of not worrying about the future, but yes, your story made it's point very well.

Kendra said... [Reply to comment]

I sneaked a peek one time and my brother found out and told on me. Dumb brothers!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

tattytiara...Thanks for stopping by! Funny how my post turned into a point, it didn't start that way. LOL

Kendrasue...That was mean, did you hurt him?

cheatymoon said... [Reply to comment]

I love this story. Great reminder for us all...

Also, I noticed on Smart Mouthed Broad that you mentioned a place to donate granny squares. I have a ton - would love to donate them.

Angelia said... [Reply to comment]

This was a beautiful memory! I too did not appreciate all the things my Grandma crocheted. I still have her blanket and I just cherish it. Thank you for a wonderful post!