Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Eleanor Parker

Eleanor Parker...

Do you know who she is? Maybe you do, but maybe you don't. I will tell you.
Possibly her most famous screen role is as Baroness Elsa Schraeder, the second female lead in the 1965 Oscar-winning smash hit The Sound of Music.


I have seen that movie, probably fifty times and I know all the characters and actors, it never crossed my mind that that was the only movie I had ever seen her in.

Hubby flipped the channel to TCM and I read the desription for the movie.

Normally I wouldn't sit and watch a sword fighting movie with male characters slapping each other on the cheeks in a challenge for a duel. Just not really my thing. This movie had just the right amount of funny and female cunning, to keep me interested.
It didn't hurt, that Eleanor was in it and also starred Janet Leigh (Jamie Lee Curtis's mother)
It didn't register in my mind who Eleanor was, because she looked like this:

Big difference from The Sound of Music! Seriously though, isn't she gergeous?!

8 comments:

Lisa said... [Reply to comment]

She's gorgeous. I didn't even realise she was in Sound of Music. And as for Janet Leigh, she was a beauty and represents the classiness of an era too.

Thank you for following my blog. Your blog is classy Heather. Congratulations.

Stephanie Faris said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. Definite change. She was still a beauty...just older.

mindy@thesuburbanlife said... [Reply to comment]

What a classy lookin' broad. I love those old movies. The women oozed sexuality and demure beauty all at the same time. Kind of like me(except for the sexuality and demure part- in fact, the only similarity would be the 'woman' part.) =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Menopausal New Mom said... [Reply to comment]

Wow!! What a classic beauty. The starlets today just don't measure up to these gorgeous gals from the 1940's and 1950's. One of my favorites was Hedi Lamar. (Not sure I spelled her name right but if you know old movies, you will know who I mean)

Tinkerschnitzel said... [Reply to comment]

So many of the women from that day and age were gorgeous. Maybe it's because they weren't stick thin - I think the average size for a movie star then was an 8!

Joanie said... [Reply to comment]

I think she might have been in an Alfred Hitchcock film too, but I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to google her to find out!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Ocean Girl...I totally agree! I'm sorry I didn't get around to it sooner. Thanks!

Stephanie...It's a shame what happens to us when we get older.

Mindy...LOL!! Me too!

Menopausal...I love old movies, but that name wasn't familar, so I wikipedia'd it. Wow! She was such an interesting person!

Tinkerschnitzel...Your right, that is probably why they were so gorgeous.

Joanie...I didn't find any evidence of that, but she would have been great in one.

Angelia (Texas) said... [Reply to comment]

She is stunning!