Friday, May 28, 2010

What does the word "Family" mean to you?

Sister and I were talking about family.
BIL is having this thing (I can't tell) soon and had told sister that he did not want it to turn into a family affair, so he didn't want anyone to come.

If you don't get it, here is a hint..think "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Where her family is large and loud and in your face..ALL.THE.TIME! Yeah that's my family, minus the extended part. Just Mom, Dad, kids and spouses and grandkids...the family is 17 and growing. Every event that comes along, the monarch of the family (MOM) insists that the whole family is involved.

I totally get BIL's decision.

I know a lot of folks that when they say family, they are talking about those who live in their house. All of us in my "family" wish (no..dream, no..beg) for this to be true for us, sometimes.

I recall another time talking to sister and she said they were going to have a family day, of course she had to specify that that meant just her, her hubby and Boo!
Isn't that sad!!

I also find it to be a little ironic that practically everyone of us kids have chosen spouses that are either from a small family or don't have or want close ties to family. Is that cause we secretly long for that type of family dynamic? Or is it that, we are ensuring we can still have our family as the super power in the relationship? BUT then the question is why did these poor souls chose us with the packaged deal? Was it cause they secretly wanted a large close knit family? Or were they thinking that they could help us break free from the insanity?

I think I need to revise the word family to the word MOM. LOL!!!
Yes I am totally digging my grave (one scoop of earth per word, that mom doesn't like) as I type! BUT hey, it's my blog!

My point...ummm, I don't think there is one. You have just stumbled into rambling questions that pop into my brain!

What does the word "Family" mean to you?


Sigature,Heather

12 comments:

Lisa said... [Reply to comment]

Ramble more Heather, I enjoyed it :)

Family is Mom, Dad, my two sons and me. Relatives, you won't be able to count.

rockygrace said... [Reply to comment]

My "family" is me and my sister Texas. The rest of the family doesn't make it.

Tinkerschnitzel said... [Reply to comment]

I so know how you feel! My mom is 1 of 6 kids, and the matriarch is my grandmother. I grew up with all my cousins around, so family meant the entire family. Unfortunately, most of the family has moved to other states. Christmas seems so boring now.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Ha, I so feel this post! I am the youngest of six kids. Get us all together with our broods and various personalities and it could quickly turn into a war zone! then you ad that my mother is one of six kids and my father is one of nine...try finding a place large enough for all of them and all of their kids and their families!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

family are the people who love you no matter what. Support you (and I don't mean financially)in your choices even tho they think you[re crazy. These people do not have to share your DNA and in my case my rather large family consists of only one blood relative, my brother. My family does include my husband but not HIS family (nice people but I don't like them LOL)

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

Hubby is 1 out of 6 kids. Only 1 of his sisters live here the rest of them live out of state.

Love ya sis!!

Spot said... [Reply to comment]

Oh golly. Ask a hard question why don't you. I agree with Grace. But when I say "my family" I mean me, hubby and our kids. When I say my whole family, I'm including mom, dad, sis and her family. When I say the entire family, I mean my mom's whole side. But family also includes all of our extra kids, the kids bfs & gfs, ect. How about family just equals love to me??

♥Spot

Jimmy said... [Reply to comment]

Family, lets see here that would be whoever shows up at the time, in New Mexico when we lived there it was a hodge podge group of people who all called Cindy Mom and they always showd up on holidays and at suppertime, if you sit at our table then you must be family was how it went there.

Still I think Family is who ever you allow into your life, friends are included and even Blogging Buddies too :)

Angelia Sims said... [Reply to comment]

Family to me is not just heritage and traits passed down, but who welcomed you into their fold regardless of blood.

I had very significant family members - grandma, dad, and an uncle. None were blood related, in fact my Uncle was my EX-uncle-in-law. I was very close to them and they meant the world to me.

I think family is just accepting - completely accepting another person.

That is strange how the spouses picked a big family to enter into. I would say they didn't know what they were getting into. HA!!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Ocean Girl...Thanks! I like your idea of family.

Rockygrace...That is all?! I wouldn't know how to function with just me and sis.

Tink...It is soo sad that I complain at times of the large family but as time goes on we get farther apart and it gets harder to get together.

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Suzicate...I hear ya girl, that is a much bigger family than mine.

Grace...Soo true!! I hang my head in shame.

Sis...What is that? What is that supposed to mean?

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Spot...I like it! Family vs Whole family vs Entire family. I'm goint to have to remember that one!

Jimmy...Awww, I'm part of the family! I soo agree that it is whoever wants to be family.

Angelia...Ha! Yeah hubby had no clue just how overbaring my family can be. Soo true, my bf and her small family has been included into ours.