Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Today is my Birthday

Sooo...today is my birthday.

I have managed to survive another year.

I can recall the days when I never thought I was never going to make it to ten. I was overwhelmed with adult responsibilities and each day was a challenge, but I did finally make it to ten.
...

Then there was the "I'll never make it to being a teenager". As if becoming a teenager was going to make all my problems go away and I would suddenly be all grown up. NOT! None of that happened and for some cosmic irony all got worse!
...

I just knew I would never make it to fifteen! I thought for sure one of these days my father was going to really kill me. I pushed the old man's buttons ever chance I could get. It's a miracle I survived and he did too!
...
Why sixteen was my next goal I don't know but it was a day to celebrate while my Aunt was away.
...

Seventeen! I made it at last! The day I had been waiting for..FREEDOM! No rules, no parents, just me and my friend parting the nights away. Some where in all that I thought I had arrived to adulthood with all the knowledge there was for me to know. I thought it so deeply, I got married. What did I know, I was just a kid!
...

Twenty-one..I had done so much, see too much, been hurt too much and experienced so much. AND yet I was alone, confused and looking to to drown in the bottle and escape from the world. The possibility of seeing another year was not in the plan.
...

Twenty-two..Yup I made it through, surprisingly enough. I was swept away by a stranger to another city, never to go back again!
...

Twenty-eight..Bored and itching for more to life, than what I had always been doing since I was a kid... I left my happiness behind and drove into hell and met the devil himself. I was begging to die and again seeing anymore birthdays was not in the plan.
...

Thirty-three..Suddenly I woke up from my nightmare and went back to happiness.
I felt like I had been reborn on that day. My perspective of things were finally clear and my love for life had been gifted to me. I was no longer searching or drowning, I had finally found peace within myself. It was a long journey to get through, but hey I made it and I am a better person for it.
...

Forty-one (where the heck did that number come from), yup I said it for all to marvel at. I am no longer hiding in the past, the future is all I want to see.

Soo..today is my birthday, with a bright future ahead of me.



Sigature,Heather

14 comments:

Lifeofkaylen said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
What a great look back at the years and a show of how wonderful, brave and strong you are for surviving all that life has thrown at you!
I hope you had a great birthday and that this new year of life treats you well. :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday!

SuziCate said... [Reply to comment]

May all that is sunny and happy come your way. Happy Birthday, Heather! I know I already told you on FB, but I'm telling you again!

Tinkerschnitzel said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday Heather!

rockygrace said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday!

Dee Andrews said... [Reply to comment]

Dear Heather - First, I want to wish you a VERY happy and blessed birthday today!! You are still a young woman, Kiddo! Believe me. Although, in reading through your "About Me" section and then reading this post, I can see why you may feel you are much older - and wiser - than the world because of all you have lived through in your life.

You have a gift for words. You express yourself very well and your heart shines through.

You have been a faithful reader of my blog "Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles" since you discovered me a couple of months ago, and for that I commend you and am very grateful. Thank you!

You have also added me to your blogroll, which I appreciate SO much. I have a very limited blogroll, myself, so this is unusual and rare for me to do, but I want to invite you to be on my blogroll. I shall add your name today under my "Excellent Texan Blogs," a special category for all of my dear Texas blogger friends. This is my birthday gift to you, Heather.

I know you told me from the beginning that you had a Christian background somewhere along the line, but I can see from your life that your exposure to Jesus must have been limited and that your experiences with "Christians" may have turned you the other way.

There were long periods in my own life, even though I've been a Christ follower since my childhood, and baptized believer since I was 12, that other "Christians" around me treated me very badly and deeply scarred me.

I thank God every day for holding me tight in His love and His hands through all of those things until I came through on the other side a more compassionate, caring and loving mature woman. I see that in you, too, girlfriend.

I didn't know you were on Facebook. Look me up and add me as a friend. If you will look at my profile photos on my blog, I think you will recognize my Facebook photo, taken with my beloved husband, Tom. I would love to be friends with you there.

I know this comment has been WAY too long, but I felt stirred to share these thoughts with you and your readers. Let me close with this:

Isaiah 40:

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Much love to you today, Heather.

Dee

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday, dear Heather
Happy Birthday to Yooouuu!

Jen said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday. Lets hope the next 41 years are better, as I am sure they will be.

Jimmy said... [Reply to comment]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!!!

Thank You for sharing the journey to where you are today with the post and pictures, very well done I am proud to know you and to see that you have a bright future ahead.

Kendra said... [Reply to comment]

Happy happy birthday! With many more happy ones to come!

Angelia Sims said... [Reply to comment]

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!!! Oh what a GLORIOUS day. It's my nephews birthday and my 2 year anniversary from meeting Jason.
41 is YOUNG. I'll be 39 this year. I LOVED all the pictures of your life and especially the wedding one at the end.
Heather you are just the sweetest soul. You deserve the best birthday ever.
May it be as sweet as you!

Maureen@IslandRoar said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Birthday Heather! You have the most gorgeous big brown eyes!

mch3n said... [Reply to comment]

Where did you get that pic of you and us kids.I would like a copy of it.
Love ya!!!

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said... [Reply to comment]

Happy Late birthday! I am waaaaay behind in my reading and got a chance, finally, this morning to try to get caught up. Sounds like you've gained a LOT of wisdom in your 41 years. May there be many more!