Friday, September 10, 2010

Tropical Storm Hermine - Part Two

The rain was downpoaring within minutes of getting back home and the thunder could be heard in the distance. I could tell it was going to be a whopper and boy was it ever!
The sky turned dark with heavy clouds.

The rain fell like a waterfall.

Finally it started to let up a bit.

We ventured out to check out the aftermath. (Some had to be forced out the door. That would be hubby and Chaquita! LOL!)
This what I found, a lake in my yard!

As we were taking a potty break and taking pics, hubby decided to move the trucks. We were only out there about five minutes and out of now where, lightning stuck in the field and thunder sounded at the same instant. Have ya ever seen a fat woman run without touching the ground???? I'm sure hubby did, he was still moving the trucks! I'm positive them feet never flew so fast!! I even left the umbrella out there to fend for itself! The camera was just lucky it was attached to my wrist!

After another good thirty minutes of chaos, I ventured out again. The water covered 90% of the yard.

The sun was starting to go down and the glow was spectacular, but for some reason I couldn't capture its awesomeness in the pics. They really don't do it justice.

No we didn't float away, but it surely was scary at times.
The water has no receaded in parts but the water that does remain, smells horrible!

Hubby's favorite saying:
How high's the water, mama?
Five feet high and risin'
A bit from Johnny Cash's Song



Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said... [Reply to comment]

That's a LOT of water! Glad it's receding now, but how scary was that?! Glad you guys are OK!

Lucy said... [Reply to comment]

I thought about you and Paula and My son and his kids and his x-wife. My kid and grandkids are spread all over, I think my son lives in Euless but since he never contacts me nor answers his phone I have no idea. Have not heard from grandaughter. Last I knew they were waiting to see if they were approved for a house. She was on space book yesterday so they must have came through alright. If I had been there you would never have seen a 80 year old move so quick.

Carol said... [Reply to comment]

Now I understand why the rain no longer smelled so good. You won't need to water for at least ten weeks now since plants need an inch a week, right? Okay, I was just looking for a bright side.

Thank you for visiting my blog - I'll be back to visit yours more often.

SuziCate said... [Reply to comment]

Ha, it would've made this fat girl run, too!

Angelia Sims said... [Reply to comment]

I definitely hope her cousins, sisters, etc - stay clear of Texas! We have definitely had enough. Wow, can't believe your yard! Since we are on a hill we had fast moving rivers around us. We finally had to pull the carpet completely out of Sydney's room.
It smelled soooo bad. It was literally making me sick. We Pine-sol'd the concrete and thank goodness. I can breathe now in the house. We will replace the carpet padding. The records here were close to yours 12 inches in an hour, 18 inches in 24hrs, or something brutal like that.

Love your pics! And loved that you saved that turtle. :-)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

That is a lot of water! I hope you’re alright and it didn't cause damage. The pictures are beautiful!

Rose said... [Reply to comment]

wow! some rain. i'm fat, can't run fast. thanks for your comment on my post re reflect. appreciate our abilities as they may disappear. take care. rose

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

Blah, that's nothing but a sprinkle! Speaking as a true Scottish lass I slightly judge you for not getting a few chores done whilst it drizzled- washing cars, dogs, patio furniture etc Haha!! xx

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

You know, ever since I wrote that above comment it has done nothing but pour and pour with rain here *whimper* Not ONE complete dry day!!
Off to finish working on ARK II
Lots of love Caroline xx